The Opus Group is looking to hire Project Interns and Co-Ops in our Chicago, IL region to begin Spring and/or Summer 2023. This is a great opportunity for college students to gain practical experience in a variety of design and construction tasks.
We build more than buildings. We are building greatness, in both our projects and our people. The combination of our people, culture, and unique project delivery approach truly differentiates us - it's why our associates come here, and why they stay - just ask them. Team Opus associates collaborate to advance our client goals, our communities, and their careers, every single day. At Opus you have an unmatched opportunity with a growing, industry leading organization to learn and develop professionally, while having fun along the way. You get to create solutions, forge relationships, and work with industry experts. Our award winning teams are united by one mission, and are driven to deliver impactful results for our clients and communities. If you want to build more, join us at Opus.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Work with the safety department to have working knowledge of the federal OSHA standards that apply to the project(s)
- Support the project management team in providing the labor, materials, equipment and other resources necessary to perform each project safely
- Assist with and/or manage the construction and "activation" of assigned projects, ensuring project meets budget, schedule, quality, and customer satisfaction criteria
- Review drawings, budgets, schedules, and other project-related matters with job site superintendent
- Confer with supervisor while reviewing schedule, cost, and sales decisions when necessary
- Share job cost responsibility through monitoring budgets and schedules, resolving problems, and reporting cost projections to supervisor on a monthly or more frequent basis
- Assist with the negotiation and writing of subcontracts and change orders for appropriate Opus associate(s) and/or subcontractors' signatures
- Manage the LEED (or other sustainable/green building initiative process) documentation
Project Management Skill Development
- Strengthen interpersonal skills through development of productive relationships with team and company personnel
- Strive to optimize team effectiveness and help coordinate project team
- Initiate meetings to keep supervisor informed of project status and progress
- Acquire understanding of building code and design
- Complete non-project assignments related to background, capabilities and interest
- Current enrollment in pursuit of Bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Engineering, Structural Engineering, Architecture, Construction Management, or related field
- Ability to work productively with others, solve problems independently, communicate effectively and lead projects
- Ability to demonstrate ongoing progress toward acquiring skills, knowledge and abilities of an Associate Project Manager or Field Engineer
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers.
As an EEO/Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, and veteran or disability status.
The companies comprising The Opus Group are Equal Opportunity Employers. Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.